93% of hospitals have patient portal
10% of patients want a portal
20% would like to communicate by text.
It’s important to remember that everybody wants to communicate by text, and that it is possible that every text related to a healthcare provider or healthcare professional can be considered PHI.
Reasonable and Appropriate Security Controls
- Document patient consent to receive SMS
- We have duty to warn patient that SMS may be less secure
- Make other, more secure methods available whenever feasible
- Always apply Minimum Necessary Data Standard
- We are not responsible for securing messages on patient’s phone
- Identify at-risk patients who may have trouble keeping their communications private
Please do not forget to register to our free webinar on HIPAA secure text messaging on March 30th at 1pm Central
Register here: https://my.demio.com/ref/yraSxmZdHtAblttt